Most of us think that it's easy to develop communication skill. Believe it or not, they're right!! But according to them,"Who cares communication skills?" or "During the coming summer vacation I'll go to that institute and learn Communication Skills and Personality development." It's true that there are several institutes that you can get help from, but Communication Skills can't be earned with a three-month course.
Now I have a few questions for you.
1. What makes you want to improve your communication skill?
2. Why is your Communication skill not very good?
3. What stands between you and a great communicator who you think is very smart and want to be like?
Well fact is it's realization and your smart thinking that make you want to improve the way you communicate. Most of you will say that for not getting good environment and teachers, you couldn't let the skills develop. Well, yes! I agree with you. But there is always a room for improvement and learning, and it's never too late. So let's get ready to hone the skills of communicating.
Here are a few ways that you should follow from today(not tomorrow)
1. Take a risk and say 'hello' with smile to anyone. Be happy if they respond. Be happier if they don't, cause then you're going to try with somebody else.
2. The language of communicating doesn't matter. So whichever language you speak, you should be able to speak it fluently. If you're still not fluent, keep speaking the language, keep practising, take a help of a good dictionary (in case the language is not your mother tongue) and speak with native speakers of the language.
3. I know you must have heard the way that I am going to tell you now. But most of you, in spite of knowing, never couraged to practise it. This is speaking in front of a mirror. Yeah!! It really helps. Don't believe my words and try yourself. In the first stage you'll feel shy to look at yourself and talk. But don't give up. Try again. Look at yourself, look straight. Watch how you're moving your body at the time of speaking.
4. Smile :-)
5. Try to make a good eye contact when you're talking to someone or some people. Look at everyone if you're talking to a group of people. But yes!! Look, don't stare at the person. Staring will make the person feel embarrassed.
6. Smile again, smile from heart. This makes people want to talk to you.
7. Never use slang or offensive word. This spoils your image and people can lose interest in talking to you again. So be aware!!
8. Let the other one speak. Listen to him carefully. Never forget that listening skill is vital for a speaker. Cause, "A good speaker is always a good listener." If you don't listen to others, why should others bother to listen to you??
9. Practise every day. And you'll improve every day.
10. Read books, newspaper, magazines. Reading develops your communication skill in two major ways. Firstly, it makes you understand the topics, so you can know something. Secondly, your language develops. And by reading newpaper, magaznies, you can be able to talk about the recent topics with someone. Everyone likes a smart person. Isn't it?
11. Watch good movies, tv programmes, listen to radio and talk shows.
If you carefully follow the above ways,
I think, no no, I am sure that you'll be 2 times better communicator than what you are now. So practise and see.
Don't wait anymore. Go home and start practising, today. All the Best.